Nuclear plant in Wesleyville not likely
WESLEYVILLE, ONTARIO - Wesleyville is not likely to become a site of a nuclear power station in the near future, says Tom Adams, energy industry observer and executive director of Energy Probe.
Comments made in favour of nuclear energy by Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty were likely directed to other locations, Mr. Adams said.
Premier McGuinty said that nuclear energy may be the best option available to address OntarioÂ’s power crunch.
The Premier defended CanadaÂ’s safety record when it comes to nuclear power production, reported the CBC and Canadian Press.
Mr. Adams said the current Ontario Liberal government is pushing for nuclear expansion, but not at the Wesleyville site which is under Ontario Power Generation (OPG) ownership.
“I think the focus is on Darlington B,’” he said.
Darlington B was the focus of Ontario HydroÂ’s demand plan in 1989 during the last reign of Liberal rule, Mr. Adams said, adding the McGuinty government is following the same path.
However, in February Greenpeace Canada told the Evening Guide that Wesleyville had been of topic during preliminary discussions between OPG and the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC).
Greenpeace learned of the correspondence through a federal access to information request, spokesperson Shawn-Patrick Stensil said Feb. 14.
Wesleyville came up in an internal e-mail from CNSC president Linda Keen to her staff, he said. OPG requested the meeting with Ms. Keen to discuss the refurbishment of some nuclear facilities and the possible building of new facilities. The two parties met Nov. 28.
Adding to speculation for nuclear expansion in the region was the Ontario Power AuthorityÂ’s (OPA) recommendation to increase nuclear capacity.
In its Supply Mix Advice Report released in December the OPA suggested the need to add 9,400 to 12,400 megawatts of nuclear energy to the power grid.
This would be achieved by increasing capacity in addition to refurbishment or replacement of current nuclear units, the OPA stated.
Mr. McGuinty is expected to make a formal response to the recommendations in the near future.
The response was to be made in March, but it does not appear it will be made until mid-May, Mr. Stensil said.
Related News

Canada Makes Historic Investments in Tidal Energy in Nova Scotia
HALIFAX - Canada has an abundance of renewable energy sources that are helping power our country's clean growth future and the Government of Canada is investing in renewables to reduce emissions, create jobs and invigorate local economies in a post COVID-19 pandemic world.
The Honourable Seamus O'Regan, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, today announced one of Canada's largest-ever investments in tidal energy — $28.5 million to Sustainable Marine in Nova Scotia to deliver Canada's first floating tidal energy array.
Sustainable Marine developed an innovative floating tidal energy platform called PLAT-I that has undergone rigorous testing on the waters of Grand Passage for…