IAEA to have some access to Iranian base

TEHRAN, IRAN - U.N. inspectors will visit a military base in Iran which Washington says may be part of a covert atomic arms bid, but they will have only partial access to the site, a senior Iranian official said.

The team of the inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) arrived in Iran recently to conduct a program of inspections which include the Parchin military facility southeast of Tehran.

The IAEA has been waiting months for Iranian permission to access the site which U.S. officials believe is part of a secret program to build atomic bombs.

Iran denies that it has been trying to make nuclear weapons at Parchin or any other site in the country. It says its nuclear program is geared solely to producing electricity.

"We are watchful. We have allowed inspections of our military installations, but we will not allow any espionage or the theft of information," said Hossein Mousavian, main spokesman of Iran's nuclear negotiating team.

"It is not necessary for the inspectors to enter the buildings. They are authorized to take samples outside (the buildings) with their equipment," he told the semi-official Mehr news agency.

The IAEA has been investigating Iran's nuclear ambitions for more than two years. But while it has discovered several instances of undeclared activities that could be used to make atomic bomb fuel, it has not found any conclusive proof that Iran is trying to build a nuclear weapons capability.

Political analysts say a nuclear-armed Iran could further destabilize the turbulent Middle East. They say Washington fears its ability to put pressure on the Islamic state would also be severely hampered if Tehran had atomic arms.

Iran says it has no intention of adding nuclear weapons to its military capability.

"Undoubtedly the small countries in the region would turn to the United States if Iran seeks nuclear weapons," Mousavian said.

"Iran's political, economic and social development would be jeopardised if Iran seeks to build nuclear weapons. We have never considered weapons of mass destruction to be a proper deterrent," he said.

Related News

sask power

SaskPower reports $205M income in 2019-20, tables annual report

REGINA - SaskPower presented its annual report on Monday, with a net income of $205 million in 2019-20.

This figure shows an increase of $8 million from 2018-19.

“Reliable, sustainable and cost-effective electricity is crucial to achieving the economic goals laid out in the Government of Saskatchewan’s Growth Plan and the emissions reductions targets outlined in Prairie Resilience, our made-in-Saskatchewan climate change strategy,” Minister Responsible for SaskPower Dustin Duncan said.

In the last year, SaskPower has repaired and upgraded old infrastructure, invested in growth projects and increased grid capacity.

“During the past year, we continued to move toward our target to reduce carbon dioxide…

READ MORE
indian electricity

OPINION Rewiring Indian electricity

READ MORE

houston substation

Electric Cooperatives, The Lone Shining Utility Star Of The Texas 2021 Winter Storm

READ MORE

offshore wind turbine

Huge offshore wind turbine that can power 18,000 homes

READ MORE

Advocates call for change after $2.9 million surplus revealed for BC Hydro fund

READ MORE