Downed power line kills three

SAN BERNARDINO, CALIFORNIA - A father, mother and their son were electrocuted to death by a high-voltage power line in the backyard of their southern California home, according to fire officials.

Firefighters from the San Bernardino City Fire Department were called to the residence Friday morning, and told by a 17-year-old girl that her family was injured and collapsed in the yard.

But it was deemed unsafe to rescue them.

“Once one person was getting shocked, we think that the wife was trying to assist and the son was trying to assist and unfortunately they all succumbed to their injuries,” said Jason Serrano, fire department spokesman.

"It was a very unfortunate accident," Serrano said.

Investigators believe the father went outside to check out the loud popping noises, and in the dark failed to see the downed live wire.

The deceased are identified as a 43-year-old man, 42-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man.

The utility company was called to cut the power to the arcing 12,000-volt electrical line.

High winds of up to 95 km/h caused the line to fall, Serrano said.

A 17-year-old girl and 10-year-old, home at the time, were uninjured and are staying with family members.

San Bernardino is 88 kilometres east of Los Angeles.

Related News

ontario electricity

COVID-19 pandemic zaps electricity usage in Ontario as people stay home

TORONTO - Demand for electricity in Ontario last year fell to levels rarely seen in decades amid shifts in usage patterns caused by pandemic measures, new data show.

The decline came despite a hot summer that had people rushing to crank up the air conditioning at home, the province’s power management agency said.

“We do have this very interesting shift in who’s using the energy,” said Chuck Farmer, senior director of power system planning with the Independent Electricity System Operator.

“Residential users are using more electricity than we thought they would and the commercial consumers are using less.”

The onset of the pandemic last…

READ MORE
typhoon radar image

Nearly 600 Hong Kong families still without electricity after power supply cut by Typhoon Mangkhut

READ MORE

trump-canada-tariff-may-spike-ny-energy-prices

Trump's Canada Tariff May Spike NY Energy Prices

READ MORE

Germany's Energy Crisis Deepens as Local Utilities Cry for Help

READ MORE

A tidal project in Scottish waters just generated enough electricity to power nearly 4,000 homes

READ MORE