Ten Killed In Power Station

BUJUMBURA, BURUNDI -- - Hutu rebels killed at least 10 government troops guarding Bujumbura's main power station in an attack that forced 4,000 people to flee, rebel and government officials said recently.

The attack on the army post at the power station, 25 kilometers (15 miles) southwest of the capital, was in ``retaliation'' for an earlier army attack on the Forces for National Liberation, or FNL, rebel spokesman Pasteur Habimana said.

It was not immediately possible to confirm the casualty figures independently.

The FNL began a second round of exploratory peace talks with five high-ranking military officials on May 31 in the Swiss town of Caux. Until the first round of talks in March, it had remained resolutely outside the process begun in June 1998 to restore peace in the tiny central African nation.

Burundi's civil war broke out in October 1993 after paratroopers from the Tutsi minority, which has effectively controlled the country since independence in 1962, assassinated the country's first democratically elected president, a member of the Hutu majority.

Tutsi and Hutu political parties signed a power-sharing accord in August 2000 that led to the inauguration of the transitional government in November 2001.

But fighting has continued despite cease-fire agreements between the government and three of the four rebel factions.

More than 200,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in the conflict.

Ignace Ntawnbarira, the governor of Bujumbura-Rural province where the power station is located, confirmed the attack on the power station, but he was unable to give figures on casualties.

Army spokesman Col. Augustin Nzabampema acknowledged there had been a clash, but he said the rebels had been repulsed. He said he did not have figures for casualties.

Leonidas Ndayishimiye of the Burundi Water and Electricity Co. said because of the damage, the plant was now able to supply only two megawatts of power instead of the normal eight.

Related News

ev

British Columbia Halts Further Expansion of Self-Driving Vehicles

VANCOUVER - British Columbia has halted the expansion of fully autonomous vehicles on its roads. The province has announced it will not approve any new applications for testing or deployment of vehicles that operate without a human driver until it develops a new regulatory framework.


Safety Concerns and Public Questions

The decision follows concerns about the safety of self-driving vehicles and questions about who would be liable in the event of an accident. The BC government emphasizes the need for robust regulations to ensure that self-driving cars and trucks can safely share the road with traditional vehicles, pedestrians,…

READ MORE
wyoming wind farm

Wyoming wind boost for US utility

READ MORE

powerlines

U.S. Grid overseer issues warning on Coronavirus

READ MORE

Denis Naughten

Ireland: We are the global leaders in taking renewables onto the grid

READ MORE

bomb-cyclone-leaves-half-a-million-without-power

Bomb Cyclone Leaves Half a Million Without Power in Western Washington

READ MORE