Ontario Issues Warning Amid Heat Wave
TORONTO - - Ontario asked residents and businesses to cut electricity use today or risk rotating blackouts as soaring temperatures lead to record power consumption in Canada's most populous province.
The Independent Electricity System Operator issued its first ``power warning'' this year, asking customers to reduce consumption until 8 p.m. to ease the strain on Ontario's power grid, Lisa Pearson, spokeswoman for the operator said today in an interview.
The regulator expects Ontario will set a record for power consumption of 26,900 megawatts, passing the previous record of 26,160 megawatts on July 13, 2005, as residents seek relief from soaring temperatures and humidity. The temperature is forecast to reach 36 degrees Celsius (97 degrees Fahrenheit) under clear skies in Toronto today, Environment Canada said.
``It didn't cool down overnight and our surrounding jurisdictions where we usually import power from are experiencing the same heat that we are,'' Pearson said. ``It's limiting the amount we can import from them.''
The electricity operator, which is responsible for Ontario's bulk electricity system, said an increase in demand for electricity could force it to reduce voltage or institute rotating blackouts without warning.
It asked residents to raise settings on air conditioners to 26 degrees Celsius or higher, turn off lights and curtail use of electric appliances such as dishwashers and clothes dryers.
The agency said in March that the province would likely import more electricity during heat waves this year as demand is forecast to rise 1.1 percent. Last year, the regulator issued 12 power warnings, with two cuts in voltage, because of heat waves and idled nuclear generators. There were no rotating blackouts last year, Pearson said.
Since last year, the province has added about 600 megawatts by bringing a unit at the Pickering nuclear complex on line and another 200 from wind power, she said. One megawatt is enough to power 1,000 homes.
Related News

California Utility Cuts Power to Massive Areas in Northern, Central California
LOS ANGELES - California utility Pacific Gas and Electric Co. (PG&E) has cut off power supply to hundreds of thousands of residents in Northern and Central California as a precaution to possible breakout of wildfires.
PG&E confirmed that about 513,000 customers in many counties in Northern California, including Napa, Sierra, Sonoma and Yuba, were affected in the first phase of Public Safety Power Shutoff, a preemptive measure it took to prevent wildfires believed likely to be triggered by strong, dry winds.
The utility said the decision to shut off power was "based on forecasts of dry, hot and windy weather including potential…