Liberals Pressure Protects Farmers From Rates

ST. THOMAS, ONT. -- - The Ontario Ministry of Energy buckled to pressure from the Liberals and the Ontario Federation of Agriculture and extended rate caps to cover all farmers, says Liberal Agriculture Critic Steve Peters.

On December 23, 2002, the Tories quietly changed the regulations on caps on electricity rates. This left thousands of farmers paying for Ernie Eves' mismanagement of Hydro," said Peters. "After intense pressure from the OFA and the Liberals, Ernie Eves' changed his mind again and, thankfully, all of Ontario's farmers will now be protected. This is yet another clear example how the Eves Tories have been making hydro policy on the fly."

Ron Bonnett, President of the Ontario Federation of Agriculture wrote the Minister of Energy in early January to raise urgent concerns about the government's price plan.

A section of regulation had been quietly removed protecting all those who employ fewer than 50 employees from Ernie Eves' skyrocketing hydro rates.

The OFA noted that: "As a result nearly 10,000 farms will be thrown back into the market along with a similar number of small businesses. This change was not thought out and showed no regard for the interests of these farm and small business customers. This change shows no thought for the assurances we received when we pressed senior Ministry officials for assurances earlier in December."

The OFA also noted that under the Eves regulatory change: "Half of Ontario's dairy farms, most greenhouse operations, most farm cold storage for fruits and vegetables and almost all poultry and pork producers as well as many farms with grain dryers and elevators will not get price protection."

"I'm proud to have stood side-by-side with Ontario's farmers to ensure that all farmers are protected from Ernie Eves' bungling at Hydro and his skyrocketing Hydro rates," says Peters.

Related News

doug ford

PC Leader Doug Ford vows to fire Hydro One CEO, board if elected

TORONTO - Ontario PC Leader Doug Ford is vowing to fire the head of Hydro One, and its entire board if he's elected premier in June.

Ford made the announcement, calling President and CEO Mayo Schmidt, Premier "Kathleen Wynne's $6-Million dollar man," referring to his yearly salary and bonuses, which now add up to $6.2 million.

"This board and this CEO are laughing themselves to the bank," Ford said.

However, it's unclear how Ford would do that since the province does not control the company anymore.

"We don't have the ability to go out and say we are firing the CEO at Hydro One,"…

READ MORE
california power lines

California's future with income-based flat-fee utility bills is getting closer

READ MORE

BC Hydro hoping to be able to charge customers time of use rates

READ MORE

elizabeth may

Elizabeth May wants a fully renewable electricity grid by 2030. Is that possible?

READ MORE

Abengoa, Acciona to start work on 110MW Cerro Dominador CSP plant in Chile

READ MORE