Newfoundland Power to drop rates

ST. JOHN'S, Nfld. -- - Newfoundland Power Inc., a privately owned electricity distributor, is proposing to drop rates and provide a rebate to its 220,000 customers, pending approval by a provincial regulator.

If accepted, rates would decrease by an average of 0.15 per cent on Aug. 1. The company would also rebate customers $3.6 million, starting in September with a credit on their bill, said company spokesman Bob Pike.

Earlier this year, Newfoundland Power had applied for a rate increase of 0.96 per cent starting in August, but the public utilities board turned down the request last month.

In its ruling, the board asked the company to give its customers a rebate from the company's $944,000 in excess revenues in 2001, which were a direct result of operating efficiencies and a tax refund.

The $944,000 rebate will be combined with an additional $2.7-million rebate related to interim electrical rates for 2003.

Pike said he expects the board to issue a decision on the company's new rate plan within the next few weeks.

"Overall, we feel the . . . ruling on the general rate application was a balance between the need to maintain reasonable electrical rates for customers and the need to preserve the financial integrity of the company," said Philip G. Hughes, president and chief executive of Newfoundland Power Inc.

Newfoundland Power is owned by Fortis Inc., a diversified electric utility holding company based in St. John's with assets of more than $2 billion Cdn and annual revenue over $700 million Cdn.

It has holdings in six electric distribution utilities in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Ontario, Belize and the Cayman. The firm also owns power companies in New York state and Belize and has real estate and hotel operations in Atlantic Canada.

Related News

us energy support

Energy Security Support to Ukraine

WASHINGTON - In the midst of Russia’s continued brutal attacks against Ukraine’s energy infrastructure, Secretary of State Blinken announced today during a meeting of the G7+ on the margins of the NATO Ministerial in Bucharest that the United States government is providing over $53 million to support acquisition of critical electricity grid equipment. This equipment will be rapidly delivered to Ukraine on an emergency basis to help Ukrainians persevere through the winter. This supply package will include distribution transformers, circuit breakers, surge arresters, disconnectors, vehicles and other key equipment.

This new assistance is in addition to $55 million in emergency energy…

READ MORE
Kevin O'Neill

Jolting the brain's circuits with electricity is moving from radical to almost mainstream therapy

READ MORE

powerlines

Hydro-Quebec begins talks for $185-billion strategy to wean the province off fossil fuels

READ MORE

spain wind power

Spain's power demand in April plummets under COVID-19 lockdown

READ MORE

britain coal

Britain Goes Full Week Without Coal Power

READ MORE