China puts another nuclear power plant on line

BEIJING -- - China has put a 728 megawatt nuclear reactor into operation in the eastern province of Zhejiang to supply electricity to the booming and energy thirsty east.

The Canadian-design heavy water reactor was the second and last to come on stream at the Qinshan nuclear power plant in Haiyan, Qinshan officials told Reuters.

A similar reactor was put into operation at the end of last year and has generated some 2.5 billion kilowatt hours (kwh) of electricity so far, they said.

The two reactors will generate 10 billion kwh of electricity a year for the eastern provinces of Zhejiang and Jiangsu and the city of Shanghai, they said.

After nearly two decades of construction, Qinshan now has a generation capacity of 2,300 megawatts. The last 600 megawatt reactor was scheduled to be on stream in the middle of next year, they said.

China had a nuclear generation capacity of 5,400 megawatts at the end of last year, accounting for less than two percent of its capacity.

That is scheduled to rise to 8,700 megawatts by 2005, making up three percent of the country's total.

Related News

texas utility worker

Texas utility companies waiving fees; city has yet to act

DALLAS - In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Texas utility companies have taken unprecedented steps to keep customers' lights on, gas flowing, and online connections stable -- even if they can't pay.

Meantime, Palestine City Council members plan to discuss hardship measures Monday, but have no plans yet to ease the burden of paying two other essential services during the statewide emergency -- trash collection and water. Those services are billed through the city.

For many residents, money will be tight after the statewide emergency declaration. Businesses are cutting back or closing. Workers are staying home to avoid the coronavirus.

"We are putting…

READ MORE
yukon

Yukon eyes connection to B.C. electricity grid

READ MORE

elon musk

Tesla plans to reveal electric transport truck in October

READ MORE

bomb-cyclone-strikes-bc-coast

Tens of Thousands Left Without Power as 'Bomb Cyclone' Strikes B.C. Coast

READ MORE

Site C Dam Construction

Opinion: Would we use Site C's electricity?

READ MORE