Officials appointed for Task force working groups

TORONTO -- - Ontario's commissioner of public health is among the province's representatives appointed to three working groups that will provide support to the Canada-U.S. Joint Task Force force investigating the massive power outage that left most of Ontario in the dark.

Dr. James Young will represent the province in the security working group, federal Minister of Natural Resources Herb Dhaliwal said in a release Wednesday.

Duncan Hawthorne, CEO of Bruce Power, will represent Ontario in the nuclear working group, and David McFadden will sit with the electric system group for the province.

Premier Ernie Eves had requested representation on the task force itself, but Dhaliwal ruled out a top-level role for Ontario last week, saying provincial officials would have "an opportunity to participate and provide their input" through the working groups.

"The province will play a vital role in these working groups," Dhaliwal said in the release recently.

The task force was set up by Prime Minister Jean Chretien and President George W. Bush in the aftermath of the Aug. 14 blackout to investigate what caused the problems and recommend ways to avoid a recurrence.

Snubbed by Ottawa in the formation of the task force, Eves has tried to directly forge an understanding on the issue with two border states.

After separate meetings with the governors of New York and Michigan, Eves said he and the others had pledged to co-operate in their investigations of the outage that threw much of Ontario and large swaths of the northeastern United States into darkness.

Both states are doing their own probes of what went wrong and Eves wants them to provide the province with information they gather on the cause of the outage.

In turn, he promised to share data gathered by former Hydro One chairman Glen Wright, whom Eves has asked to look into how Ontario's electricity system responded to the unfolding power problems.

Related News

bruce power plant

Operating record for Bruce Power as Covid-19 support Council announced

ONTARIO - Canada’s Bruce Power said on 1 May that unit 1 at the Bruce nuclear power plant had set a record of 624 consecutive days of reliable operation – the longest since it was returned to service in 2012.

It exceeded Bruce 8’s run of 623 consecutive days between May 2016 and February 2018. Bruce 1, a Candu reactor, was put into service in 1977. It was shut down and mothballed by the former Ontario Hydro in 1997, and was refurbished and returned to service in 2012 by Bruce Power.

Bruce units 3 and 4 were restarted in 2003 and 2004.…

READ MORE
hydro one logo

Ontario's electricity 'recovery rate' could lead to higher hydro bills

READ MORE

ontario logo

Ontario Provides Stable Electricity Pricing for Industrial and Commercial Companies

READ MORE

nuclear power

A new nuclear reactor in the U.S. starts up. It's the first in nearly seven years

READ MORE

chuck schumer

Top Senate Democrat calls for permanent renewable energy, storage, EV tax credits

READ MORE