Environmentalists sue DOE

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Eleven environmental groups sued the Department of Energy over its creation of a corridor in the mid-Atlantic region that could smooth the way for construction of new power lines.

Under a 2005 law, the federal government can approve new power transmission towers within corridors such as this one if states and regional groups fail to approve such lines. The law was passed following the 2003 blackout that rippled from Ohio to Canada and New York City.

Last year, the Energy Department designated the mid-Atlantic corridor and another in the Southwest.

In two separate complaints, the environmental groups claim the Department of Energy violated environmental laws by failing to study the impact the corridor designation would have on air quality, wildlife, habitat and other natural resources.

They asked the court to declare the corridor invalid and in violation of the law.

The National Wildlife Federation, the Piedmont Environmental Council, the Sierra Club, National Parks Conservation Association, Environmental Advocates of New York, Clean Air Council, Pennsylvania Land Trust Association, Civil War Preservation Trust, Catskill Mountainkeeper, Brandywine Conservancy and National Lands Trust filed the complaints in federal court in Pennsylvania's middle district.

The mid-Atlantic corridor includes parts of Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.

Julie Ruggiero, an Energy Department spokeswoman, said in a statement that designation of the corridors "in and of itself has no environmental impact."

She said the designation "identifies a problem and shines a spotlight on areas of the country that are experiencing or could experience interruptions in power supply... designation of corridors is critical because it encourages stakeholders to look at electricity generation from a regional and national perspective, identify solutions, and take prompt action."

Another environmental group, the Center for Biological Diversity filed a similar lawsuit in federal court in California challenging the designation in the Southwest. The Southwest corridor includes seven counties in Southern California and three counties in southwestern Arizona.

In a nod to critics, the Department of Energy said in December it would take more time to review requests for a rehearing on the corridor designations.

Related News

ontario rate relief

Ontario Extends Off-Peak Electricity Rates to Provide Relief for Families, Small Businesses and Farms

TORONTO - The Ontario government is once again extending electricity rate relief for families, small businesses and farms to support those spending more time at home while the province maintains the Stay-at-Home Order in the majority of public health regions. The government will continue to hold electricity prices to the off-peak rate of 8.5 cents per kilowatt-hour until February 22, 2021. This lower rate is available 24 hours per day, seven days a week for Time-Of-Use and tiered customers.

"We know staying at home means using more electricity during the day when electricity prices are higher, that's why we are once…

READ MORE
Seamus Oregan

Affordable, safe' nuclear power is key to reaching Canada's climate goals: federal minister

READ MORE

wind power in Nebraska

Why power companies should be investing in carbon-free electricity

READ MORE

powerlines

UK net zero policies: What do changes mean?

READ MORE

climate change survey

More than Two-thirds of Americans Indicate Willingness to Give or Donate Part of their Income in Support of the Fight Against Climate Change

READ MORE