KEPCO sees nuclear setback after crisis

KOREA - Japan's nuclear crisis could result in a two to three year setback in the nuclear power reactor market, but demand will rise in the longer term, a senior executive at Korea Electric Power Corp said.

Japan's worst-on-record quake and tsunami on March 11 crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, 240 km 150 miles north of Tokyo. Japanese engineers are struggling to end the world's worst nuclear crisis since the 1986 Chernobyl accident.

"Japan's crisis may affect the market in the next two to three years but in a few decades nuclear power demand will rise due to a lack of alternative energy," Byun Jun-yeon, executive vice president and chief nuclear project officer at state-run utility KEPCO, told Reuters in an interview.

He said renewable energy would continue to play only a supplementary role due to its poor economics.

China may currently appear to be scaling back its nuclear power plans, "but can't stop, because it's hard to meet their huge energy demand without nuclear reactors, and thermal coal power generation also emits carbon," Byun added.

China last month froze nuclear approvals for new and proposed nuclear plants in the wake of the Japan crisis.

Byun, who majored in electrical engineering at Korea University and joined KEPCO in 1977, said that Brazil, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Argentina and South Africa were preparing tenders for nuclear reactors which could come by the end of this year.

He declined to discuss specific deals, but said KEPCO was aiming to win tenders and that Saudi Arabia had evaluated KEPCO's reactor operation technologies highly compared with other countries.

"Reactor importers want models which guarantee safety, economics and efficiency... they also want builders who can help them run reactors at least 20 to 30 years later," Byun said.

"South Korea has no accident records in its nearly 40-year reactor operation history," he said.

KEPCO has been aiming to win overseas orders for a total of 10 nuclear reactors by 2020. The United Arab Emirates in December 2009 awarded a $20 billion contract to build four 1,400-MW reactors, the largest energy deal in the Middle East, to a KEPCO-led Korean consortium.

Related News

jeff yurek

Court quashes government cancellation of wind farm near Cornwall

CORNWALL - Construction of a wind farm in eastern Ontario will move ahead after a court quashed a provincial government decision to cancel the project.

In a ruling released Wednesday, a panel of Ontario Superior Court judges said the province's decision to scrap the Nation Rise Wind Farm in December 2019 did not meet the proper requirements.

At the time, Environment Minister Jeff Yurek revoked the approvals of the project near Cornwall, Ont., citing the risk to three bat species.

That decision came despite a ruling from the province's Environmental Review Tribunal that determined the risk the project posed to the bat population…

READ MORE
sask power

SaskPower reports $205M income in 2019-20, tables annual report

READ MORE

coal chute mountains

USA: 3 Ways Fossil Energy Ensures U.S. Energy Security

READ MORE

major utilities in the United States

Major U.S. utilities spending more on electricity delivery, less on power production

READ MORE

bolsonaro

Brazil government considers emergency Coronavirus loans for power sector

READ MORE