New Brunswick policy doomed to fail: group

BERESFORD, NEW BRUNSWICK - The province's new Community Energy Policy is a recipe for failure because the government isn't providing enough funding for new projects to get off the ground, says the Conservation Council of New Brunswick.

Under the initiative, unveiled in Beresford, 75 megawatts of power from the province's energy portfolio — enough to power up to 15,000 homes — will be reserved for renewable community energy projects, such as wind farms and small hydro dams.

Selected projects will receive 10 cents/ kWh hour for the renewable energy they produce.

But the environmental group contends that's not enough to start new projects.

"They've set their feed-in tariff — the price they'll pay for electricity — below the cost of producing that electricity," said spokesman David Coon.

"So it's not going to drive the development of any community-based renewable energy," he said.

The feed-in tariff will be frozen for the first five years and then escalate with the Consumer Price Index, the province has said.

The community energy policy also drew criticism from Yves Gagnon, one of the people hired to advise the government on community energy during the past three years of consultations.

He said some of his recommendations were adopted, but other crucial elements were left out, such as providing financial and technical support to communities that want to develop a community energy program.

The province plans to hold 11 workshops across the province to educate interested communities about the policy between March 8 and 24.

A request for proposals is scheduled to go out by the end of May. Projects may be based on biomass resources, wind, solar, small hydro or tidal power.

Premier Shawn Graham has said the policy will will help build the energy hub, meet climate change action plan objectives and build expertise in renewable energy in communities across New Brunswick.

Related News

cleanup in Turks and Caicos

Maritime Electric team works on cleanup in Turks and Caicos

TORONTO - Maritime Electric has sent a crew to help in the clean up and power restoration of Turks and Caicos after the Caribbean island was hit by Hurricane Irma.

They arrived earlier this week and are working on removing debris and equipment so when supplies arrive, power can be brought back online.

Fortis Inc., the parent company for Maritime Electric operates a utility in Turks and Caicos.

Kim Griffin, spokesperson for Maritime Electric, said there are over 1000 poles that were brought down by the storm.

"It's really an intense storm recovery," she said. 'Good spirits'

The crew is working with less heavy equipment…

READ MORE

U.S. Department of Energy Announces $110M for Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage

READ MORE

US nuclear innovation act

US nuclear innovation act becomes law

READ MORE

ntpc logo

NTPC bags order to supply 300 MW electricity to Bangladesh

READ MORE

U.S. power companies face supply-chain crisis this summer

READ MORE