30,000 without power after storm

ONTARIO - Thirty thousand homes in the areas hardest hit by recent thunderstorms were without power on the weekend, according to Hydro One officials.

Enzra Cancilla, Hydro One's manager of public affairs, said the company had restored power by Sunday in the Hunstville and Bracebridge areas.

Hydro One has mobilized "all available crews" and is using forestry teams to cut through many of the trees felled by lightning June 8.

Cancilla says Hydro One also has helicopters surveying damage sites to identify which remote areas have been hardest hit.

The storm left a total 121,000 people without power in Ontario June 8 before moving on to Quebec.

Related News

Quebec and other provinces heading toward electricity shortage: report

MONTREAL - Quebec and other provinces in central and eastern Canada are heading toward a significant shortage of electricity to respond to the various needs of a transition to renewable energy.

This is according to Polytechnique Montréal’s Institut de l’énergie Trottier, which published a report titled A Strategic Perspective on Electricity in Central and Eastern Canada last week.

The white paper says that at the current rate, most provinces will be incapable of meeting the electricity needs created by the increase in the number of electric vehicles and the decarbonization of building heating by 2030. “The situation worsens if we consider carbon…

READ MORE
power plant

UK breaks coal free energy record again but renewables still need more support

READ MORE

powerlines

B.C. ordered to pay $10M for denying Squamish power project

READ MORE

graph

Florida PSC approves Gulf Power’s purchase of renewable energy produced at municipal solid waste plant

READ MORE

site C

When did BC Hydro really know about Site C dam stability issues? Utilities watchdog wants to know

READ MORE