Tesla expects to get $350 million in government funds

SAN CARLOS, CALIFORNIA - Electric-car maker Tesla Motors Inc. said it was told by the U.S. Department of Energy that its application for $350 million in government loans should be disbursed in the next four to five months.

The San Carlos, Calif.-based company said the funds will go toward building the factory that will ultimately produce its Model S four-door sedan, which will go on sale in 2011.

Tesla spokeswoman Rachel Konrad said Tesla has not yet received final approval for the loan, which comes from a $25 billion loan program designed to help automakers retool plants to build more fuel-efficient vehicles.

"The Department of Energy has made no final decisions on specific applications for the auto loan program," said Department of Energy spokesman Phil West.

The company also said it now expects to return to profitability by the middle of the year after its investors agreed to $40 million in new financing in December. The money, which came from its existing investors and will be used to fund day-to-day operations, was twice as much Tesla needed to reach profitability, the company said.

Tesla said its all-electric Roadster — which retails at $109,000 — is sold out through November. The company has sold about 200 Roadsters to date.

"While we have had some cancellations due to buyers experiencing personal financial difficulties, new orders continue to flow in every week from the United States and Europe," said Chief Executive Elon Musk in a written newsletter.

Konrad said the Model S will retail at below $50,000 after accounting for a $7,500 tax break passed last year for people who purchase electric cars. The tax break can also be also be used for partially electric cars, such as the Chevrolet Volt, the extended-range electric hybrid that General Motors Corp. expects to go on sale in late 2010 and retail for $40,000.

Tesla said it will display a drivable prototype of the Model S on March 26 at Tesla's design studio.

Related News

china nuclear construction

China's nuclear energy on steady development track, say experts

BEIJING - While China has failed to accomplish its 2020 nuclear target of 58 gigawatts under operation and 30 GW under construction, insiders are optimistic about prospects for the nonpolluting energy resource in China over the next five years as the country has stepped up nuclear approvals and construction since 2020.

China expects to record 49 operating nuclear facilities and capacity of more than 51 GW as of the end of 2020. Nuclear power currently makes up around 2.4 percent of the country's total installed energy capacity, said the China Nuclear Energy Association. There are 19 facilities that have received approval…

READ MORE

BC Hydro completes major milestone on Site C transmission line work

READ MORE

gulf power

Gulf Power to Provide One-Time Bill Decrease of 40%

READ MORE

gas fired electricity station

Balancing Act: Germany's Power Sector Navigates Energy Transition

READ MORE

elon musk

Elon Musk could help rebuild Puerto Rico with solar-powered electricity grid

READ MORE