30,000 without power after storm

ONTARIO - Thirty thousand homes in the areas hardest hit by recent thunderstorms were without power on the weekend, according to Hydro One officials.

Enzra Cancilla, Hydro One's manager of public affairs, said the company had restored power by Sunday in the Hunstville and Bracebridge areas.

Hydro One has mobilized "all available crews" and is using forestry teams to cut through many of the trees felled by lightning June 8.

Cancilla says Hydro One also has helicopters surveying damage sites to identify which remote areas have been hardest hit.

The storm left a total 121,000 people without power in Ontario June 8 before moving on to Quebec.

Related News

The European Union

EU draft shows plan for more fixed-price electricity contracts

BRUSSELS - The European Union wants to expand the use of contracts that pay power plants a fixed price for electricity, a draft proposal showed, to shield European consumers from big price swings.

The European Commission pledged last year to reform the EU's electricity market rules, after record-high gas prices, caused by cuts to Russian flows, sent power prices soaring.

A draft of the EU executive's proposal, seen by Reuters on Tuesday and due to be published on Mar. 16, steered clear of the deep redesign of the electricity market that some member states have called for, suggesting instead limited changes to…

READ MORE
heat-exacerbates-electricity-struggles

Heat Exacerbates Electricity Struggles for 13,000 Families in America

READ MORE

wildfires in los angeles

94,000 lose electricity in LA area after fire at station

READ MORE

U.S. Ends Support for Ukraine’s Energy Grid Restoration

U.S. Ends Support for Ukraine’s Energy Grid Restoration

READ MORE

solar power solution

Norway Considers Curbing Electricity Exports to Avoid Shortages

READ MORE